Doshisha University Japanese Placement Test


Doshisha University Japanese Placement test for Nichibun or Bekka program.
For those interested in the placement test details, there was three sections. The test got harder the farther you got into it.

Each section corresponded with different levels of the Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT). I've given rough approximations. There is a single test that everyone takes, everyone gets the same amount of time. Test is multiple choice. Bring a mechanical pencil! (シャーペン)

  • Section I was roughly for those up to JLPT IV&III. 
  • Section II was for those up to JLPT III & II, and 
  • Section III was for JLPT 1
    •  the hardest level where you can already read japanese newspapers and talk about them in depth with other japanese people.


Doshisha has 9 levels of Japanese classes. If you are in Doshisha's level 6, you are able to take regular japanese university classes with other japanese students.

Section I has furigana on every kanji.
Section II generally does not have furigana over the kanji.
Section III contains newspaper readings and questions about each reading. There might be 1 or 2 readings, but I'm unsure as my level is well below section III at this point.

Doing extremely well on placement test's Section I gets you into Doshisha level 4.
Completing section I and getting in the 70-90% range gets you into Doshisha level 3.
Completing half of section I well and guessing on the rest gets you into Doshisha level 2.
Getting everything wrong or not finishing section I gets you into Doshisha level 1.
 (Don't worry about getting into level 1 or not finishing the test's section I as it is very common.)

Hopefully this gives other students an idea of the placement test. Feel free to ask me any questions, I will help wherever I can. :)

Study Tips:
Test Preparation
I got into level 4 from knowing the grammar, vocabulary, and kanji from Minna no Nihongo  Book 1 and Book 2 extremely well. On my site tehJapanesesite.com there are two Minna no Nihongo flash card decks. If you know these 100%, your vocab will be well prepared. To go to the site click here. I also used Heisig's method to remember Kanji easily.
Interview Preparation
Prepare sentences about yourself and be able to answer them fluidly without looking at your notes. Questions like:
  • What do you do? 
  • Why are you in Japan? 
  • Why study Japanese? 
  • How much Japanese have you studied? 
  • What do you want to do in the future?
  • Do you have any hobbies (what are they, why do them, when did you start etc.)
Of course, these questions will be asked in Japanese by the 2 teachers interviewing you. I didn't use them for this test because I didn't know of them yet, but I found a book called "Shadowing Japanese" tremendously helpful for pronunciation, intonation, and conversation.
Keywords: Kyoto, Japan, Doshisha, University, placement, test, structure, outline, marking, grading, layout, jlpt, exchange, student, nichibun, bekka, program, japanese, help
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ben and Kailey lived in Japan not too long ago and also visit Kyoto every year.

Ben is developing a Japanese Practice site. It's current main functions are:
1. a Flash Card system that features a leveling system where you must answer correctly and "level up"to gain new cards, receive money and buy new decks - anime decks included!
2. Fill in the Blank system where you can choose to focus on particle practice or verb practice etc.
Japanese Practice Blog is here. Check out the Japanese Practice site here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment